George Brown College
Located in Toronto’s vibrant downtown core, George Brown College is one of Canada’s largest and most diverse colleges. The college is adding to our two main campuses, St. James and Casa Loma with a third Waterfront campus opening in fall 2012 and a new student residence opening in 2016.
George Brown was established in 1967, named after Liberal politician George Brown, one of Canada’s Fathers of Confederation and founder of what is now The Globe and Mail newspaper. At first, its programs built on those offered by two existing provincial trade institutes. However, it quickly grew to offer a diverse range of programs.
Why choose George Brown College?
Academic Exchange Programs allow students to study at partner institutions in another country from four weeks to up to one semester. There is a selection process for interested students. Once selected, students pay regular George Brown College tuition fees and attend the partner institution. Eligible credits are then transferred back to your program.
George Brown College provides excellent study and work opportunities for students to study in another country for academic credit. The periods range from a week to an entire semester. We offer study and work abroad opportunities in over 23 programs and in 17 different countries, including India, China, Hong Kong, Cuba, Ireland, Italy, France, Jamaica, South Korea, Panama, the United States and several others. Opportunities cover:
- Field education/practicum programs
- Academic exchanges and credit courses
- Co-op, internships, externships and work terms
- Field trips (credit and non-credit)
The benefits of study or work abroad include:
- Valuable international academic or businesses experience
- Enhanced skills that employers value
- Learn a new language or improve those you already have
- Get to know new cities, countries and take advantage of wonderful travel opportunities
- Meet a wide variety of people and establish an international network of friends
- Acquire invaluable intercultural and life skills including greater confidence and independence
Applying for college is an easy and convenient online process. This means that with one form, you can apply for up to five programs, and up to three of these can be at any one college.
Step 1: Choose your program(s).
Step 2: Complete an online application form (There is a non-refundable $95 application fee that must be submitted at the time of application).
Step 3: Academic documents should be sent to Ontario Colleges
- All international documents must be evaluated by ICAS or WES . We recommend a Comprehensive Assessment report. Please send the evaluated documents to Ontario Colleges, 60 Corporate Court, Guelph, ON, Canada, N1G 5J3.
- We cannot accept international documents without an accompanying evaluation.
- For high school applicants, grades will be transmitted electronically by your school.
Step 4: The college will send you an acknowledgement stating that your application was received.
Step 5: Applicants can track their application online at STU-VIEW. You will need your student ID and password, which is provided in the acknowledgement letter mailed to you.
Step 6: Once your application is complete, we will let you know:
- If an assessment, interview, audition, or questionnaire is required for your specific program, and how to book one
- Whether you have received an offer for the program, and how to accept the offer
- How to pay and register for your classes. For information about financial assistance, visit our Financial Aid page.
Entry Advising is a free George Brown College service that matches your academic skills, educational background and career goals with options from the college’s exceptional certificate, diploma, and degree programs. These options may include upgrading, or referrals to academic departments. Entry Advising can even connect you to external agencies for anything from credential assessment to career counselling.
The Vision, Mission and Values of George Brown College
THE PATH TO LEADERSHIP
Inspired by a commitment to achievement through excellence in teaching, applied learning and innovation:
- We will set the benchmark to which all colleges will aspire, and be recognized as a key resource in shaping the future of Toronto as a leading global city.
- We will build a seamless bridge between learners and employment as we develop dynamic programs, and workplace-ready graduates who will be the candidates of choice for employers.
- We will create a community of life-long learners, grounded in the principles of access, diversity, mutual respect and accountability.
We foster an environment of reciprocal dialogue to ensure learning, solve problems and strengthen the George Brown community.
We commit ourselves to delivering a ‘George Brown standard’ of quality and superior performance.
We hold ourselves responsible to ensure the future sustainability of George Brown , academically and fiscally.
DIVERSITY AND RESPECT
We show mutual respect for each other within the community of George Brown including all of our stakeholders, in all of our behaviour.
Students from more than 100 countries have chosen George Brown College for their education. For more than three decades, we have welcomed students from around the world and established ourselves as a leading college for international students in Canada.
As an international student at George Brown College, you’ll live, study and work in the heart of Toronto, one of the most multicultural cities in the world. Our career-focused programs and expert teachers will help you make valuable connections in Canada’s commercial and cultural centre.
George Brown College offers more than 140 career-focused certificate, diploma, postgraduate and degree programs – one of the widest ranges of full-time college programs in Canada. Most of our programs have work placement components which put students in actual jobs in their field of interest.
Please explore the College’s International Education Website, view our International Student Flipbook, or download our International brochure (PDF) in the language of your choice. We hope to see you on campus!