Saint Mary’s University
Even if you aren’t sure what path you want your career to take, the Saint Mary’s approach to learning will uniquely nurture the promise you possess. With one-on-one access to professors, experiential learning opportunities, supportive student services, an international student body, a small but lively campus, and abundant research dollars, when you study at Saint Mary’s you can be whatever you hope to become. Which means you can be confident in your future.
Why choose Saint Mary’s University?
As a student at Saint Mary’s, you have access to a wide variety of partner institutions [PDF], making your study abroad options almost unlimited.
Semester/Full Year Exchange
We’ve signed institutional agreements with universities all across the world. Many of these agreements include “tuition swaps” where you pay tuition directly to Saint Mary’s University, making the exchange process much smoother for you.
Whether you want to study in Australia, Japan, or Germany, we’ve made it possible.Find out where your future could take you [PDF].
If you want a shorter study abroad experience while doing the bulk of your schooling at Saint Mary’s, our international summer program could be the perfect option for you. Overseas summer programs [PDF] offer a great way to sample a world of opportunities. They often focus on specific subject areas and typically last four to eight weeks. Where will you spend your summer?
Ready to get started? Apply now.
If your first language is not English, and you have not attended an English language secondary school recognized by Saint Mary’s, you must demonstrate that you have the English language skills necessary to be successful in our degree programs. You must arrange to have results sent to Saint Mary’s from an official testing agency.
If you’re interested in our SMU exchange program, this is the place to start. But before you apply, please review the following documents:
- The Big Picture: Two Stages of Planning [PDF]
- SMU Exchange Application: Process and Procedures [PDF]
- SMU Exchange Program – Host Institutions List [PDF]
- SMU Summer Abroad Program List [PDF]
- Contact Information and How to Submit Your Application [PDF]
- SMU Exchange Application Deadlines [PDF]
- Student Exchange Agreement [PDF]
Ready to Begin?
Start the process by submitting the following documents:
- SMU Exchange Application Kit [PDF]
- Letter of Intent [PDF]
- A printout of your grades from Banner Self Service
- Your current resume
- Two letters of reference [PDF]
Applying for Transfer Credits:
Make sure that you have your transfer credit hours pre-approved by completing aLetter of Permission [PDF] and submitting it to the Registrar’s Office. It’s easy to do—just contact your Faculty’s academic advisor.
Not sure who to contact? Locate your advisor.
The French Connection
If you’re considering applying to study in Angers, France, please contact Dr. Joelle Cauville at email@example.com for the application form.
- April 30 for July to January
- September 15 for February to June
Our programs are mapped to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). This allows you to talk about your level in a way that will be understood all over the world.
English for Academic Purposes (EAP): Prepare yourself for university success.
University Bridging Program (UBP): Experience up to two university credit courses while learning English and get a head start on your degree.
English for Personal and Professional Communication (EPPC): Build the skills you need to work, travel, study, and make friends.
One Month Immersion (IMM): Jump into learning English by participating in a full month of exciting cultural and recreational activities.
From the moment you arrive on campus, you’ll notice what makes Saint Mary’s special. Our campus is compact yet cosmopolitan, making for a truly unique student experience. Our university is enriched by international students from over 100 countries, who make up almost a quarter of our student body. We combine this diverse, friendly atmosphere with world-class academic programs, a truly global curriculum and many opportunities for personal and intellectual growth.
International and Canadian students learning and working side-by-side, help to create a unique and truly intercultural educational experience for all.
Information and Resources:
- The International Centre provides support, assistance and advice to international students, including hosting international orientation events in January, May, July and September to help you settle in.
- English as a Second Language is taught at Saint Mary’s through The Language Centre. The Language Centre offers many ESL programs designed to meet your needs, including English for Academic Purposes (EAP), the University Bridging Program (UBP) and the one-month ELS Immersion (IMM).
- See our printable viewbook for international students which contains information about Halifax, Saint Mary’s and our programs.