Birmingham City University


Birmingham City University  is the second largest of five universities in the city, the other four being Aston University, University of Birmingham, University College Birmingham, and Newman University.

The university has three main campuses serving four faculties, and offers courses in art and design, business, the built environment, computing, education, engineering, English, healthcare, law, the performing arts, social sciences, and technology. A £125million extension to its campus in the city centre of Birmingham, part of the Eastside development of a new technology and learning quarter, is opening in two stages, with the first phase having opened its doors in 2013.

Why choose Birminghan City University?
Get Involved

ASK @ Birmingham City University is our unique e-mentoring scheme for students and graduates. The scheme offers alumni the opportunity to mentor current students or to be mentored by another graduate of the University.

Mentoring opportunities for our Alumni:
  • Mentor a penultimate, or final year student and share your experiences of life after University
  • Mentor a current member of the Alumni who is looking for career progression, or a career change
  • Be mentored by a senior, experienced member of the Alumni to support your self development and/or career progression

To get involved in Ask@BCU all you need is an internet connection. The only commitment we ask is a willingness to make regular contact with your mentoring partner.

We are always interested in expanding our portfolio of mentoring opportunities, therefore if you have any ideas of how mentoring could help you, others, or your business then we would be delighted to hear from you.

Entry requirements

Once you’ve found the course you’d like to apply for, it’s important that you make sure you have, or are aiming to achieve, the entry requirements for that course, which can include both academic and non-academic elements.

What is the purpose of having entry requirements?

We want you to succeed with your studies, so you need to be able to demonstrate that you’re capable of coping with the rigours of studying at the level you’re applying for. Some subjects may require a certain level of knowledge of that subject or related ones, or you may need appropriate experience in a particular discipline or area.

How do I find out the entry requirements for my course?

Entry requirements can be found in the individual course listings in our courses section. Look under the ‘Entry Requirements’ tab for your course.

How to apply

We try to ensure our application process is as straightforward as possible. The process of applying for a place to study at Birmingham City University varies depending on your course and level of study.


Whether you’re a new starter or a returning student, our Accommodation Services team can help you find somewhere to live in Birmingham.

We offer accommodation in University-owned and private Halls of Residence at various locations throughout the city, and work with private companies to supply accommodation close to our city centre campuses.

Accommodation includes standard and en suite rooms suitable for undergraduate students.

Arriving and enrolling

Once you arrive in the UK it will be really important to get to your accommodation safely. This section contains information of what transport is available to your accommodation from your point of arrival into the UK.

In your first couple of days it’s a good idea to call home and let family and friends know you’ve arrived safely. In addition you’ll need to buy food and drinks and other items which you may not have been able to carry with you. This section provides information of where you can purchase these items.

This section will also give you information that you may need during these first few days with regards to enrolment on your course and how to register with the police, if this is a requirement of your visa.

Enrol on your course
On-campus enrolment

As part of your course induction you will be given details of your course enrolment session. If for any reason you miss this session you will be notified by email of the mop-up sessions you can attend to complete your enrolment.

What do I need to bring to the on-campus enrolment?
  • Proof of identity: Current valid passport (and UK biometric residence permit, if applicable) including your Tier 4 Student visa with the correct sponsor licence number XC799QAW5
  • A printed copy of your CAS Information Sheet with the correct sponsor licence number XC799QAW5 or your Unconditional offer letter
  • Original certificates or official results notifications for all the qualifications listed on your application form. Where a document is not in English the original must be accompanied by a fully certified translation by a professional translator. The translation must include details of the translator’s credentials and confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document as well as stating the translator’s contact details. It must also be dated and include the original signature of the translator
  • If you are paying your own fees you will be required to make a payment in accordance with the University’s Tuition Fee Payment Policy. If you are being sponsored by your company or government we require an original letter outlining details of payments (ie tuition fee or accommodation). You will be eligible for a prompt payment discount of £300 if you make payment in full before or at enrolment, therefore if paying by draft it should be less the £300 discount. If you are not paying the full amount, it is important to note that you are required to pay at least 50 per cent of your tuition fee and sign up to a payment plan to enrol
  • Any other documentary evidence stated in your offer letter as a requirement for entry onto your programme. For clarification please ensure you read your offer letter prior to enrolment.

If you do not bring the above documents and payment to your on-campus enrolment session you will not be able to enrol. Until you have enrolled you will not have full access to the University’s services and facilities. Ultimately failure to enrol will result in you being reported to the UKVI and being sent home.

Fix an Appointment

Fix your appointment with HR Staff for free consultancy

Apply Now

Submit an application today to secure your admission

Visit HR Offices

Please visit’s your nearst HR office for further details

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search