Middle East Technical University Northern Cyprus Campus (METU NCC)
Middle East Technical University’s presence brought about new methods and introduced innovations to Turkish higher education system manifesting METU as a pioneer of modern education nationwide. In its earliest years, part of METU was located in a small building that belonged Social Security Office of Retirees at Kizilay’s Müdafaa Street and the other section was located in the barracks behind the TBMM (Turkey’s National Grand Assembly). In 1963, the University moved to its current campus location which is the first university campus of Turkey.
In 1956, the first academic program to start education was the Department of Architecture. Then in spring semester of 1957, Department of Mechanical Engineering launched its academic program. At the onset of 1957-1958 academic year, the Faculty of Architecture, Faculty of Engineering and Faculty of Administrative Sciences were established. In 1959, the tasks undertaken to establish Faculty of Arts and Sciences were completed. Faculty of Education launched its academic program in 1982. Today, there are a total of 40 undergraduate programs in five faculties of METU.
Why choose METU NCC?
- American University Program
- Art & Design
- Biotechnology & Life Sciences
- Computing & IT
- English Programmes
- Health Sciences
- INTI Continuing Education Programme
- Mass Communication
- Postgraduate Studies
- Pre-University Programmes
Once admitted, and as you begin to think about your trip to Northern Cyprus, we\’d like to offer you helpful information…
1. Prepare for travel to Northern Cyprus (Lefkosa / Ercan) not later than 30 days before your program starting date.
2. Make an appointment with the nearest Turkish Embassy / Consulate for TRANSIT VISA to Turkey, if not exempted. (www.mfa.gov.tr)
3. Make flight reservation (preferably Turkish Airlines or Pegasus due to automatic luggage transfer) as soon as possible, since routes to Istanbul & Northern Cyprus (Ercan airport) are busy in September.
4. Go to Turkish Embassy / Consulate with your acceptance letter issued by the METU NCC & other documents required by the Embassy / Consulate; apply for the Turkish transit visa.
5. Purchase your earlier reserved ticket.
6. Inform us via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org on your flight schedule (date of arrival, time of your departure from Istanbul, flight number). This information must be provided at least 3 working days (Mon-Fri) prior to your arrival. Otherwise, airport pick up is not guaranteed.
7. Upon check in, in order to avoid luggage loss, make sure that transit tags are attached to all of your bags.
8. Upon arrival to Turkey, go to the transit area for you connection flight for Northern Cyprus (ERCAN airport)
9. Upon arrival to Northern Cyprus (ERCAN airport) show your acceptance letter to the custom officer.
10. Upon arrival, submit original, attested documents to registration office.
Upon arrival to METU NCC campus, you will receive much more information on registration & English Proficiency Test, student visa and have opportunities to attend orientation sessions.
What is the Orientation Program?
Welcome to the METU Northern Cyprus Campus Family! This orientation program has been prepared to familiarize you with the campus and its facilities, and support you during your adaptation process. The program will be carried out by Student Services Units and Orientation leaders, and offer you an opportunity:
- To be briefed on your academic program
- To meet your instructors, staff members and new friends
We are looking forward to your involvement in all the activities!
Orientation Leaders are senior METU NCC students who volunteered to assist you during the orientation program and in your first year at METU NCC. These reliable senior-students will help to find answers to your questions about campus life. Before your arrival you can direct your questions via e-mail to your orientation leader. You can find contact information of your orientation leader below. When you arrive on campus please also get in touch with the Orientation Office, situated in the shopping center on campus, via telephone or by directly going to the office to get acquainted with your orientation leader and to be informed about all the details of the orientation program.
Annual Tuition fees for new International Students who register 2014-2015 Academic Year
Regular Tuition Fee
25% Tuition Fee Waiver Scholarship
50% Tuition Fee Waiver Scholarship
100% Tuition Fee Waiver Scholarship
The annual tuition fee is to be paid in two equal installments prior to the registration of each semester. (Refund Policy:20% of administrative charges will apply on tuition fee paid amount only. Refund application must be made within 10 days after on-campus registration. Refund applications received later will not be considered. Note: the above mentioned refund policy does not apply to initial deposit of 500USD as it is a non refundable.) Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus requires all international students to enroll in Health Insurance System which covers emergency treatment, clinical examination, as well as costs of hospitalization. The $120 annual fee for this compulsory health insurance is to be paid at the beginning of academic year. In addition to tuition and accommodation, students generally spend 400-450US Dollars a month for living expenses such as food ($250-$300), transportation, stationary, books, etc… ($100-$150).
The METU Campus is located on the Ankara-Eskişehir highway and has been forested entirely through the efforts of the University employees and students since the early 1960’s.
The Campus includes Lake Eymir. The lake and its surroundings meet part of the rowing, fishing and picnicking needs of the METU employees and students. The surroundings of Lake Eymir have also been forested through the efforts of the University employees and students. The fresh water for METU is being supplied from the deep wells around Lake Eymir.
All Faculties and Departments of the University are in the same campus area, except for the “Graduate School of Marine Sciences” which is located at İçel-Erdemli on the southern coast of Turkey and METU Northern Cyprus Campus.